Ranked a Top 25 Canadian Book Blog
Twitter: @DCYakabuski
Facebook: Doreen Yakabuski
Instagram: doreenyakabuski
Threads: doreenyakabuski

Monday, October 10, 2016

A Booklover's Thanksgiving

Today is Thanksgiving Day in Canada.  Especially as a Canadian, I have so much for which to be thankful, but since this is a book blog, I thought I’d focus on what I as a booklover have for which to be grateful.

I am grateful for books which provide me with so much pleasure.
I am grateful for authors who, using their imaginations and talent, write those books.
I am grateful for the trees which provide the paper on which books are printed.  (Although I read ebooks and listen to audiobooks too, print books are still my favourite.)
I am grateful for all the people who work in the physical production of paper and books (e.g. forestry workers, pulp and paper mill workers, binders, printers).
I am grateful for publishers, especially those who take chances with new authors.
I am grateful for editors and copy-editors who ensure that an author’s work is the best it can be.
I am grateful for translators whose work allows me to read literature written in many different languages.
I am grateful for booksellers, especially the small, independent booksellers who persevere despite all odds.
I am grateful for my teachers:  my elementary school teachers (especially Zita Bloski) who taught me to read; my high school teachers (especially Sylvia Post) who challenged me to read widely; and my university professors (especially Professor Jean Moreau) who expanded my understanding of literature.
I am grateful for libraries which provide everyone with free access to books, those politicians who support them, and the librarians who staff them and are always willing to make book recommendations.
I am grateful for reviewers, both professional and amateur, whose comments often guide me to books.
I am grateful to the media that feature book-related articles giving me better understanding of books and authors and making me aware of books I might not otherwise have encountered.
I am grateful for friends who lend books and discuss them.  Among those friends are book club members, especially those in THE Timmins Book Club and The St. Andrews Lassies Book Club.
I am grateful for time to read books.
I am grateful for my husband who gave me the library of my dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment