Ranked a Top 25 Canadian Book Blog
Twitter: @DCYakabuski
Facebook: Doreen Yakabuski
Instagram: doreenyakabuski
Threads: doreenyakabuski

Saturday, January 26, 2019

Review of MEET ME AT THE MUSEUM by Anne Youngson

4 Stars
This novel came to my attention because it was on the shortlist for the Costa First Novel Award, the same award that last year brought us Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine.  Then I became more intrigued when I learned that the author wrote this debut novel at the age of 70. 

This is an epistolary novel featuring the 18-month correspondence between Tina Hopgood, a farmer’s wife in East Anglia, and Anders Larsen, a curator at the Silkeborge Museum in Denmark.  This museum houses the Tollund Man, an Iron Age man found in a Danish bog in 1950.  An interest in this Tollund Man, who has a very serene expression on his face, prompts Tina to write to the museum.  Slowly a friendship develops between her and the curator.

Initially, the letters are very formal.  The salutations are “Dear Mr. Larsen” and “Dear Mrs. Hopgood” and the closings are “Regards, Anders Larsen, Curator” and “Sincerely, Tina Hopgood”.  Gradually there is a shift in tone to “Dear Tina” and “Dear Anders” and “With all my good wishes, Anders” and “Love, Tina”.  At first the letters, especially Anders’, are dry and factual but they slowly become warm and confiding.  They express their thoughts and feelings and discuss regrets, losses, and disappointments, as well as spouses and children, music and poetry. 

Tina mentions that she writes to help clarify her thoughts:  “I am writing to you to make sense of myself.”  Later, she comments, “when I sit down to write to you it seems as if all the strings holding my conscious mind together come loose and let my subconscious leak out.”  But the letters work in other ways as well.  Tina says, “writing to you has begun to feel like talking to [Bella, her best friend who recently died]” while Anders writes about “the comfort it has given me to be able to share”.  Anders admits that he begins to pay more attention to the natural world, as Tina does, and that he listens more carefully because he wants to accurately relate what happened. 

The two correspondents are very different in many ways.  Hers is an outdoor life full of physical labour and she lives in a cluttered English farmhouse; his is an indoor, cerebral life and he lives in a Scandinavian house that could be described as minimalist.  But what they share is more important.  They are thoughtful and reflective and both are lonely. 

It is obvious from the beginning that Tina is not happy with her life.  She married young, “before it was quite the right time” and “became bogged down, almost literally, in the life of a farmer’s wife. . . . My life has been a buried one.”  She complains that the farmhouse “and all its contents are like the mud collecting on my boots as I walk the dog round the fields in a rainy season.  Holding me back, weighting me down, limiting how far I can travel.”  She speaks of feeling that she has “sacrificed my life . . . for nothing” so her life has no meaning because she has “done so little, achieved so little,” always having a sense of being “in the wrong room all my life, the room where nothing was happening.”

Tina also wonders about the road she did not travel:  “what is it that I have missed by having closed off so many choices so early in my life?”  Anders has similar thoughts:  “I wake in the night and wonder if, after all, I have wasted my chances and should have done something different with the time and the talents I have been given.”  He thinks about his archaeological work and wonders “whether it was a worthwhile way to spend a life” and asks Tina, “At least what you do produces food.  How does what I do benefit anyone?” 

The theme is that regardless of age, change is possible.  Both Tina and Anders are of an age when “there is more behind us than ahead of us,” but they conclude that “Nothing is so fixed it cannot be altered.”  A somewhat homely image of picking raspberries is used to emphasize that a second chance is possible so one does not overlook “many of the fruits in this life.”  Tina describes picking berries:  “Whenever I pick raspberries, I go as carefully as possible down the row, looking for every ripe fruit.  But however careful I am, when I turn round to go back the other way, I find fruit I had not seen when approaching the plants from the opposite direction.  Another life, I thought, might be like a second pass down the row of raspberry canes; there would be good things I had not come across in my first life.”  The two begin to speak of trying new things as picking raspberries and “the need to pick as many as possible” in the time given. 

On the surface, this is a simple novel, but its reflections on life and the passage of time are perceptive.  It is a delightful read with an ending some may not like but I think is perfect.  Its style reminded me of Helene Hanff’s 84, Charing Cross Road, but it has a more thoughtful tone.  Tina speaks of the Tollund Man and “his serenity, his dignity, his look of wisdom” and that description fits the book:  it is serene, dignified and wise. 

No comments:

Post a Comment