Ranked a Top 25 Canadian Book Blog
Twitter: @DCYakabuski
Facebook: Doreen Yakabuski
Instagram: doreenyakabuski
Threads: doreenyakabuski
Substack: @doreenyakabuski

Monday, June 17, 2024

Review of A TRICK OF THE LIGHT by Louise Penny

 3.5 Stars

This, the seventh of the Armand Gamache series, is in my opinion one of the better books thus far.

Lillian Dyson, a former friend of Clara Morrow’s, is found murdered in Clara’s garden the morning after a party celebrating Clara’s solo art show in Montreal. Gamache and his team arrive to investigate and once again become involved in the lives of Three Pines residents. They are also drawn into the world of artists, art dealers, art critics, and gallery owners.

The title of the book is perfect because much of the book is about shadow and light where much is hidden and has to be brought into the light. I enjoyed the discussions about whether it is possible for a person to really change. The theme of forgiveness is also important; there are several characters seeking forgiveness or trying to forgive. All three of these ideas come together in the resolution of the case.

I guessed the identity of the murderer because there are sufficient hints, especially with the discussions about a person’s ability to change. As I read, I found myself applying the criteria for a credible character change that I taught my students (ability to change, motive to change, credible time span). The absence of one of these is a definite clue. Nonetheless, there is sufficient misdirection to keep the reader guessing. Unlike in previous books, the motive for the killing and the manner of killing are more straightforward and therefore more believable.

As I’ve been reading this series, I’ve realized that the murder cases in these books have become a secondary interest. I find myself more intrigued with what is happening with characters than in the crime being investigated: Will Olivier forgive Gamache? Will Clara forgive Peter? Will Jean-Guy confront his demons? Will Rosa return to Ruth? Penny excels at developing relationships and doesn’t shy away from complexities. Peter and Clara’s marriage is a major example of relationships developing and changing in the course of the novels. I’m going to start thinking of the books as a drama series rather than crime fiction.

One episode that doesn’t ring true is Jean-Guy’s confrontation with Gamache. Given what bothers Jean-Guy about what he sees on the leaked video of the incident outlined in Bury Your Dead, he’s most angry that Gamache hasn’t tried to discover who leaked it? I understand that we are to see his lashing out as a symptom of his problems, his not having recovered from trauma, but it is unconvincing and feels awkward since he doesn’t mention what this thoughts indicate is his real concern.

I’m off to listen to the next book in the series to see if it is, as its title suggests, a beautiful mystery.

1 comment:

  1. You nailed it when you said this is more of a drama series then it is crime!! I have found that all the characters have come to life for me and can hardly wait for the next book to come out.
    Thank you for your review Doreen.
    (Colleen Bailey via mg-d1.substack.com)

    ReplyDelete