Ranked a Top 25 Canadian Book Blog
Twitter: @DCYakabuski
Facebook: Doreen Yakabuski
Instagram: doreenyakabuski
Threads: doreenyakabuski

Thursday, March 26, 2020

Review of ALBATROSS by Terry Fallis

3 Stars
Adam Coryell is in his last year of high school when his new phys. ed. teacher, applying the theory of a Swedish professor, discovers that Adam has the ideal body for golf.  Though he has never even held a golf club, he proves to be a golfing prodigy.  Even though he wants to be a writer, he follows the path of least resistance and quickly becomes an international celebrity with, he thinks, an unmerited fortune.  Despite his meteoric rise, he is bored and unhappy because his unwanted talent takes him away from his true dream.

The book explores the difference between success and happiness.  Adam has a great deal of success, but he has a problem:  “I just didn’t like golf that much . . . It took a very long time to play and didn’t seem to accomplish anything particularly redeeming or constructive. . . . The world wouldn’t be a better place if I could shoot lower scores than other golfers.  But I believed the world just might be better if I could write a story or a novel that moved people, that made them think, that made them laugh, that empowered them” (119-120).  When he wins, “’I didn’t really feel anything.  No excitement, no sense of accomplishment” (192).  He does not feel fulfilled because his success comes with no effort or control:  “I haven’t really won those tournaments, my one-in-a-billion physical shell won them.  I am not responsible.  I have no agency, no control.  I’m just along for the ride.  There’s no personal satisfaction when I’m putting out no effort to contribute to my success’” (220).

Ironically, Adam does not have the same level of writing talent:  “I knew my writing still needed work.  That just made me want it all the more” (166).  He focuses on creative writing in university, however, and discovers satisfaction:  “In my courses, there was real work involved in achieving my academic goals, and real satisfaction came along with it” (177).  When he has a minor success in writing, he is shocked at the “extraordinary and unprecedented feeling it engendered” (348).

The plot is predictable.  It is inevitable that Adam will eventually make a choice between golf and writing, between what brings him fame and fortune and what brings him happiness.  The romance story involving Adam and his high school sweetheart Alli also has the expected outcome.  The only real surprise is the one scene in Dubai and it is a bit over-the-top. 

What is more problematic besides the predictability is the lack of tension.  Adam does experience guilt because he is so successful without effort and he is not enjoying himself, but he earns enough money that he will never have to work in his life if he chooses not to do so.  Few obstacles arise and the conflicts that do occur are resolved fairly quickly.  The reader is well aware that should Adam choose to focus on writing, money will never be an issue and he will never be a starving author.  That financial security lessens the risks and so lessens the tension. 

Another problem is that Adam is too good, too nice.  He has no noteworthy flaws; he always has good intentions and good deeds follow.  Were it not for his witty banter, I would describe him as bland and boring (like the sport he plays).  He seems to lack emotional expressiveness; other than a meltdown during one interview, he seems emotionally flat.  His reaction to a breakup is certainly understated.  I wish that his filter malfunctioned more often (148)!  (Actually, all the characters are all so nice.  The parents and girlfriend and coaches and professors are so supportive.  Virtually everyone is pleasant and agreeable.)

I loved the title of the book since it works on several levels.  An albatross is a rare bird which can stay aloft for extended periods of time so it is a metaphor for Adam and his rare talent.  An albatross is also a difficult golf score that few athletes achieve.  Of course, the term is used metaphorically to mean a burden that feels like a curse, and that is the way Adam often views his golfing ability. 

For me, the humour is gentle rather than the laugh-out-loud kind.  For instance, Adam describes an angry tournament official:  “He was really steamed.  I worried he might not only take a stroke from me, but have one himself” (107).  About the funniest comment was Adam’s description of himself as an atypical Canadian:  “I’d never actually played organized hockey, so my fighting skills were, shall we say, underdeveloped for my age” (140).

The novel covers a time period from September 2013 to May 2022.  Unfortunately, the book may suffer in terms of realism because the last third is set in the near future.  There is, for instance, no reference to COVID-19.  And the Tokyo Olympics have been postponed.

I think the book could be shorter than its 388 pages.  There were discussions of golfing, writing techniques, and fountain pens that could be abbreviated.  What are the chances of finding three people who are such aficionados of fountain pens and ink?  (I do use a fountain pen for my journal, and I did recently see a couple of pens I liked at the Mont Blanc store at Schiphol airport in Amsterdam; sadly, I couldn’t see spending over $4,000 on a pen!)

Despite its flaws, this is a quick, enjoyable read which does not require much effort from the reader. 

No comments:

Post a Comment