Ranked a Top 25 Canadian Book Blog
Twitter: @DCYakabuski
Facebook: Doreen Yakabuski
Instagram: doreenyakabuski
Threads: doreenyakabuski

Saturday, October 29, 2016

Polish Women Writers

As you can tell by my surname, my ancestors came from Poland.  Actually, they came from Kashubia in the northwest part of Poland.  As a child, I spoke Kashubian, a language that was usually identified as a dialect of Polish but has since been officially recognized as an ethnic-minority language, the only remnant of the Pomeranian language.



Unfortunately, I can no longer speak the language, though I can understand a bit. Though I have an interest in the country of my forefathers and mothers and its literature, my lack of understanding of the language means Schatje’s Shelves contain only three books from Poland.  (See photo.)




I was really pleased to come across an article entitled “10 Books by Polish Women Writers We’d Like to See Translated”:  http://lithub.com/10-books-by-polish-women-writers-wed-like-to-see-translated/.

"Next year, when the London Book Fair showcases Polish writing, let’s not forget that Polish women writers form its beating heart."

No comments:

Post a Comment