Ranked a Top 25 Canadian Book Blog
Twitter: @DCYakabuski
Facebook: Doreen Yakabuski
Instagram: doreenyakabuski
Threads: doreenyakabuski

Sunday, December 8, 2019

Review of PLATFORM SEVEN by Louise Doughty

3 Stars
The narrator is Lisa Evans, a 36-year-old teacher in Peterborough, England.  What is unusual about her is that she is dead; as a ghost she wanders the train station.  Eighteen months earlier, Lisa died on a railway platform.  Her death was ruled a suicide, but after witnessing a man jump in front of a train, Lisa vows, “I didn’t do what he did.  I didn’t throw myself off Platform Seven.  So what happened to me?” 

At first, Lisa has no memory of her past life, but once she regains her memory, she flashes back to her relationship with Dr. Matthew Goodison.  Though charming and charismatic in public, in private Matty is very psychologically controlling.  He limits Lisa’s contact with her friends, questions her mental health, and makes subtle threats which he easily explains away as being threats only in her mind.  So is the truth about Lisa’s death to be found in this toxic relationship?

I had difficulty with the ghostly Lisa because the author kept changing the rules which governed her existence and behaviour.  Initially, she has not memories of her life; she doesn’t even know her name.  Then she remembers everything about her life; even conversations are related verbatim.  She realizes “Most of the time, I know what people are thinking,” but then there are people whose “thoughts remain a mystery to me”?  Lisa describes herself as “nothing but consciousness,” but then she describes people passing through her as if she has some type of form.  At the beginning, she is unable to leave the railway station in Peterborough and she takes pains to describe her “boundaried world.”  Then she suddenly discovers that she can leave.  Later it seems like she even has the ability to see the future?  These inconsistencies make it difficult to accept the spectral Lisa as a narrator.

What the book does well is present a very nuanced portrayal of an abusive relationship.  Matty, bit by bit, undermines Lisa’s confidence and self-esteem, and curtails her freedom.  He threatens her physically but in such a way that his actions can be interpreted innocently.  For instance, “He took hold of my face, his fingers indenting the soft flesh of my cheek in four places on one side, the thumb on the other cheek pressing against my jawbone.”  When Lisa mentions his grabbing her face, Matty says, “’Lisa, honestly, talk about exaggeration.  I didn’t grab your face.  I showed you where I’d stitched [a girl who’d fallen onto a radiator], I was explaining, honestly, really.‘”  He then continues gaslighting her:  “’We have to get this straight because quite seriously I’m wondering if you’re totally insane.‘”  In public, of course, he behaves so that everyone is convinced of his love for her.  Lisa sums up his technique:  “A man like Matthew would never cross the line, I saw that now, he would just make me feel worse and worse until I didn’t trust a single thought I had any more.”

The theme of love is explored.  Lisa learns about love:  “I made the same mistake that women and girls throughout the ages and across continents have so often made, the one that is so easy and seductive, so flattering to ourselves.  I mistook possessiveness for love.  By the time I realised the magnitude of that mistake, I had too much invested in it to unpack it, and so I had to keep on making it in order to justify the fact that I had made it in the first place.”  She realizes that “Love takes so many forms. . . . I just wish that I had kept more sense of proportion.”

The book starts slowly so I wondered whether I should keep reading.  It is only when Lisa starts her flashback that the plot picks up momentum.  This flawed pacing and the issues with the ghostly narrator make this not my favourite Louise Doughty novel. 

No comments:

Post a Comment