Ranked a Top 25 Canadian Book Blog
Twitter: @DCYakabuski
Facebook: Doreen Yakabuski
Instagram: doreenyakabuski
Threads: doreenyakabuski

Monday, September 11, 2017

One Book for Each American State

My husband and I are planning a short trip into the U.S.  We will be concentrating on the northeastern part of the country and visiting either New Hampshire, Vermont, or New York.  Researching for the trip reminded me of an article I read last month.

Travel and Leisure “selected the best books based in every state by looking for titles that almost use their state as another character. The setting is so deeply entwined with these texts, the story couldn't even exist in another place or time.”  Alabama gets To Kill a Mockingbird; Georgia, Gone with the Wind; Oklahoma, The Grapes of Wrath; Washington, Snow Falling on Cedars; and Missouri, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. 

If we decide to visit New Hampshire, I need to read Frindle by Andrew Clements; if, Vermont, All the Best People by Sonja Yoerg; and if, New York, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith.  I have a problem with the last option since we will visit the state, not the city of New York.

No comments:

Post a Comment