Ranked a Top 25 Canadian Book Blog
Twitter: @DCYakabuski
Facebook: Doreen Yakabuski
Instagram: doreenyakabuski
Threads: doreenyakabuski

Saturday, September 9, 2017

Trumpian Satire Courtesy of The New Yorker

I know I’ve mentioned previously that I have a subscription to The New Yorker.  I read the print edition though I also check out the digital version almost daily.  The humour section is great for providing a few chuckles in a world where the news is relentlessly depressing.

The Borowitz Report by Andy Borowitz is a must-read; his satire targeting Trump never disappoints. Where else can you find pieces like “Eight Hundred Thousand People with Dreams to Be Deported by One with Delusions” and “Obama Cruelly Taunted Trump in Letter Riddled with Multisyllabic Words” and “Trump’s Horrific Spelling Reassures Nation That He Cannot Correctly Enter Nuclear Codes” and “Trump Says Sun Equally to Blame for Blocking Moon” and “Ivanka and Jared Vacationing in Moral Vacuum”. 

The most recent issue (Sept. 11) has another wonderful piece entitled “Jared Kushner’s Harvard Admissions Essay” written by Megan Amram:  https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/09/11/jared-kushners-harvard-admissions-essay.   This ranks up there with one of my other favourites which I linked on my blog last March:  “Kellyanne Conway Spins Great Works of Literature” by Bob Vulfov: https://schatjesshelves.blogspot.ca/2017/03/kellyanne-conway-literary-critic.html .

The New Yorker is one of Trump’s fake news outlets.  What better recommendation for taking out a subscription?!

No comments:

Post a Comment